The stable release of XSquawkBox 2.0 is now out. Thanks to the users who followed the issue reporting procedures and provided valuable information to help iron out the issues through the beta.
XSquawkBox 2.0 includes some quality of life changes over beta6 to reduce user confusion, but has no significant changes in the voice system or other major components over beta6 otherwise.
Now that XSquawkBox 2.0 is out, I will be focusing efforts on essential fixes for 2.0 only, with any new effort going into 3.0 which will target X-Plane 11 only, and will specifically target Vulkan compatibility and a VR friendly user interface. I hope the delay to 3.0 will be a lot shorter than the delay from 1.3.3 to 2.0.
With the release of 2.0, XSquawkBox 1.3.3 will be deauthorised from the network. You must upgrade to continue using XSquawkBox.
From the 2.0 changelog:
- Fixed a cosmetic bug where XSB OBSs would register themselves as servicing 99.998MHz instead of VATSIM’s standard 199.998MHz.
- We now mangle the malformed x.x20 and x.x70 frequencies to their correct form (x.x25 and x.x75) when displayed, and normalise all frequency usage correctly for the respective service. Hopefully this ends the confusion over what to tune, and radios not working as expected.
- We also now normalise the HF Alias list to ensure we match frequencies correctly due to the discovery that not only did our behaviour not match the expected one for .x25/.x75 aliases, but the actual alias list itself contained inconsistencies.
- Make sure that command-entered frequencies (
///) are rounded to valid channels.
- Verbosely report when we’re connecting and disconnecting from VATSIM AFV (Voice) as AFV service issues causing silent failures have been confusing end-users.
- AFV-Native: Disable Nagle (where possible) on HTTP connections per the insistence of the AFV team. This is expected to be zero net change as curl buffers HTTP requests properly, but will eliminate any edge-cases where the AFV servers delayed ACK can cause a short (200ms) delay in finishing a HTTP POST.